Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Getting to know your teachers - Mr. Liu Yi Jie

12:25 AM Posted by Unknown No comments
Among the new batch of teachers joining the SST family in 2012 was Mr. Liu Yi Jie. He used to teach at River Valley High School before his journey in SST begun. Here's more about him!

Q: Why did you choose to join SST?  
SST offered me the platform to explore teaching using ICT resources, which was something which I have been trying to develop and work upon in my previous school.

Q: As of now, how do you find SST? 
I'm lucky to be taking the good classes. The students I see are very motivated and outspoken, and ironically, most of them have the attitude to blossom in an IP school environment. The environment is small and cosy, and colleagues are always willing to help each other out.

Q: What is your opinion on the integration of ICT in our learning? 
So far, there are different views among different teachers regarding how ICT should be appropriately integrated into students' learning. There seems to be no right / wrong answer as of yet. Ultimately, when you students graduate as the first batch of SST "O" level students, your results will be the best reflection on how successful the integration was.

Q: Tell us more about your family?
My dog stays with my mum and grandmother, while I stay with my wife. I have a younger brother who is currently serving in MFA.

Q: What did you do before you started teaching?
Give tuition, go for training, do tutorials. In other words, a university education.

Q: Tell us more about your education career (Inspiration, where you taught)
No inspiring / happy story here. Teachers from my secondary school were fairly straightforward in their teaching. When I started, I actually promised myself that I will not be as dull as some of them. I previously taught in Assumption English School as a contract teacher for 6 months. The students there exposed me to a whole different environment, and 6 months have now stretched into 6 years. 

Q: What are your hobbies?
Sports / riding my motorcycle / spending time with my dog

Q: What were some of your childhood dreams?
To play in the NBA.

Q: What sort of music do you fancy?
Hip hop / reggae / heavy metal / rock. Current song put on repeat is Fun's "We Are Young"

Fun: We are young
 
Q: What are the expectations do you have for your students?
Used to be results. But now, results are a given. I hope that all students grow up to be good and sensible people whom I can be proud to say that I have taught.

Q: Do you like to travel? If so, what countries do you specially like?
Yes I do. Quiet and scenic countries with few tourist traps e.g. Hokkaido, Tasmania etc

0 comments:

Post a Comment